Here’s a simple recipe to cook corned beef:
- 1 (3-4 pound) corned beef brisket
- 1 head of cabbage (optional)
- 1-2 pounds of potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (optional)
- 2-3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse the corned beef brisket under cold running water to remove any excess brine or spices.
- Place the brisket in a large pot and cover it with water. The water should be at least 1-2 inches above the brisket.
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat. Once the water reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Allow the brisket to simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- If you are adding potatoes and carrots, add them to the pot during the last 30-45 minutes of cooking. Add cabbage during the last 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the brisket from the pot and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing it against the grain.
- Serve the corned beef with the cooked vegetables and some of the cooking liquid as a sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy your delicious corned beef!